(The reimagined series; Caprica and Blood & Chrome)
Picon is a planet in the Cyrannus star system, and one of the Twelve Colonies of Kobol, orbiting Helios Alpha. It is named after the Pisces tribe who resided on Kobol, though its citizens may not have been affiliated with that tribe.[note 1]
Known originally as Pisces, Picon was one of the earlier colonies settled on, and was originally under the control of the Virgonese who would later found their own planet, Virgon. Due to the early colonisation, the cultures of Picon; Virgon and Caprica are comparable.
Three quarters of Picon's surface is water, which earned it the name "The Ocean Colony" and is abundant with aquatic life.
Picon is known for its socially-progressive attitudes towards health care and affordable housing. Its crime rate is relatively low, and boasts an affluent and educated population. The Colonial Fleet, based in Perkinson, orbits a large number of Picons as staff.
Further notes Edit
- Much information on Picon was added into the series lore for the show Caprica. Writer Jane Espenson also collaborated in the creation of mapping the Cyrannus star system with the positions of each planet along with explaining their histories. The factoids themselves quasi-canon, existing in a preliminary level where they are canon unless contradicted by new information. However, as there was no second season of Caprica to contradict them, they stand.
- In the star system map created for Season 1, Picon; Scorpia; Leonis and Aerelon are moons of Zeus.
- ↑ The history of the Cyrannus system suggests there is no direct link between the planets and the tribes they were named after. Colonies such as Caprica; Picon and Virgon were settled by the same people. Aquaria meanwhile was founded as a scientific outpost rather than a settlement for the Aquarius tribe.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Charlie Jane Anders (24 January 2011). Detailed Map Of Battlestar Galactica's Twelve Colonies. Retrieved on 2018-05-10.
- ↑ @SergeGraystone (22 Feb 2010). The colonies most centrally located relative to the group: Caprica, Gemenon, Tauron and Picon, were the first to be settled..
- ↑ @SergeGraystone (6 Feb 2010). Picon is sometimes thought of as "Caprica, Jr." Slightly colder overall, clean, polite, originally colonized by Virgon..
- ↑ @SergeGraystone (1 Jun 2010). Yes! This is true. RT @Guido_Milceni I get the notion that Picon, Caprica and Virgon are strongly related culturally and historically..